Research Funding and Promotion
On behalf of the Federal Ministry for Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection (BMELV), the BLE manages, technically and in terms of organization, various research projects in the fields of food, agriculture and consumer protection.
The BLE manages the agricultural research projects supported by the BMELV.
These research projects, funded by the BMELV, are managed by qualified experts from various scientific fields. Projects include consulting of parties seeking and applying for funding (funding advisory service) as well as administrative processing and technical project support at all levels – starting from the initial project idea up to the use and application of project results.
The BMELV awards research grants in the following fields
- Technical and non-technical innovations in the areas of food/nutrition, agriculture and consumer protection
- Research and development projects and/or measures for technology and knowledge transfer within the Federal Program on Organic Farming (Bundesprogramm Ökologischer Landbau und andere Formen nachhaltiger Landwirtschaft, BÖLN)
- Research projects to supply the BMELV with guidelines for decision-making
- Situation analyses and statistics in biodiversity
- Model and demonstration projects (MaD) in the areas of preservation and innovative, sustainable use of biodiversity
The BLE also coordinates German participation in the crossnational European Research Area Networks (ERA-Nets) and currently participates in the following ones: Core Organic (Organic farming), ICT-Agri (Agricultural engineering), EUPHRESCO (plant health), ERA-ARD (agricultural research for development) and EMIDA (animal health).