Production of Sustainable Biomass
In Germany, the BLE is the competent authority for the implementation of the sustainability criteria laid down in Directive 2009/28/EC on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources (Renewable Energy Directive) and for the double counting of liquid or gaseous biofuels produced from aste, residues, cellulosic non-food-material and lignocellulosic material.
By adopting the Renewable Energy Directive, the European Union has established sustainability requirements for energy production and the use of biomass. This applies to all types of liquid and gaseous biomass, among others palm oil, soybean oil and rape seed oil, biodiesel, vegetable oil fuel, bioethanol, biomethanol and biomethane. The requirements of the Renewable Energy Directive are implemented into national legislation with the Biofuel sustainability ordinance (Biokraftstoff-Nachhaltigkeitsverordnung -Biokraft-NachV-) and the biomass-electricity-sustainability ordinance (Biomassestrom-Nachhaltigkeitsverordnung -BioSt-NachV-).
The requirements as laid down in the sustainability ordinances apply to all operations at all stages of the entire production and supply chain, from the farmer to the party required to provide proof in the field of biofuels and/or the network operator and installation operator in the field of bioelectricity.
In Germany, the BLE, together with the financial administration, is the competent authority for implementing the 36th ordinance on the implementation of the Federal Immission Control Act (Bundes-Immissionschutzgesetz) – the ordinance on the implementation of the rules on the biofuel quota (36. BImSchV)
The BLE is also the competent authority:
- in the field of biofuels, for providing data which are required by the biofuel quota body or the German main customs offices for counting liquid or gaseous biomass towards the biofuels quota or for a tax relief,
- in the field of bio-electricity, for providing the necessary data for payments and the Nawaro bonus to network operators,
- in the field of bio-electricity, the keeping of a register of all installations using liquid biomass for electricity production,
- for the management of data on the sustainability of liquid or gaseous biomass of the governmental web application Nachhaltige Biomasse System (Nabisy) and the issuing of partial proofs of sustainability upon application by economic operators,
- for evaluating the implementation of sustainability criteria as laid down in the Renewable Energy Directive in Germany, and the drawing up of an annual progress report for the Federal Government,
- for the recognition and monitoring of certification bodies pursuant to the sustainability ordinances,
- for the recognition and monitoring of certification systems pursuant to the sustainability ordinances,
- the announcement and monitoring of adequate certification systems and certification bodies for the double counting of biofuels pursuant to the 36. BImSchV, and
- for operating the governmental web application Nabisy for the double counting of liquid and gaseous biofuels produced from waste and residues pursuant to the 36. BImSchV, and for issuing the double counting proofs and/or double counting partial proofs in addition to the proofs of sustainability and / or partial proof of sustainability.